

As I noted last time, not driving my car on a shopping trip is a treat for me!
I live fairly close to a fancy Whole Foods and can walk or bike there. The parking lot there is usually jam-crammed with people waiting for places and being snippy.
So biking there is a pleasure. The biggest challenge is keeping the quantity of purchases down so they can be brought home in a backpack.
Today we set out along Sligo Creek Parkway. It was Sunday afternoon and this meant dodging foot traffic. We passed Colesville Road and headed to Wayne Ave. Just for fun we spun down to Takoma Park. That part of the parkway is closed on Sunday afternoons so we could ride in the road without car traffic. It was a nice day and the playgrounds were full. There were a couple of kids on bikes with training wheels and I was reminded that Jack learned to ride without training wheels on that very road - his mother trotting along behind him pretending to be holding onto the seat while he pedaled.
When we got to the end of the closed parkway we did a double back and headed for Wayne Avenue. Up that long hill to Whole Foods. As usual the parking lot was packed, but there was plenty of bike parking. So in we went, bought some fancy rolls, overpriced cheese and a couple of cookies we really didn't need. But we were saving the earth!
As I said, this effort was hardly a sacrifice.