Sunday, April 12, 2009

Do You Have Legacy Stuff?

This past weekend we went to see some friends of ours that we hadn't seen since we had Thanksgiving dinner with them. As we were catching up I noticed that there was a dishtowel on the coffee table. It looked just like some that I have that my Aunt Mable embroidered with the days of the week. I thought to myself, "oh they have some of those too."



About a second later Jeanette says to me, "is this your dishtowel, I think you left it here at Thanksgiving." Turns out she doesn't have dishtowels with the days of the week embroidered on them! I explained that I had an entire set of these dish towels, one for each day of the week and that my Aunt Mable embroidered them in her later years. Then I asked, you don't have any stuff like that? Turns out Jeanette was Grandma's favorite and she learned to crochet. No bare tabletops at her house! So now I have "Thursday" to go with "Wednesday", which I've shown above.

So I started looking around when I got home. Here is what I found:



Honest Abe holds up DVDs at our house. My Dad who works with bronze made him.



Above, Picasso, via Mel Blum, graces our dining room walls.


Flowers are a favorite theme. Botanical studies:


Sunflowers caught in bronze:


Kings are another theme we've got. When our son was little he looked at them and said, "why are they all so sad?"





It's not just the older generation who create. We got this pastel from a water loving relative. He gave this picture to my mother-in-law, and when she passed he mentioned that he'd like it back if we weren't using it. Turns out we'd found a place for it.


Then on a trip to Rhode Island we visited with a young cousin who actually runs a gallery. And there is more water, only this time we paid! That puts it in a whole different league.




Turns out Dan and Jeanette have art coming at them from all sides. Dan's Grandmother did decoupage, he's got some very textural flowers with each petal specially painted. His Mom is into oils.

So what do you have that someone has created and given you, and how many of them do you have? I know I've got the rest of the week in dishtowels out there somewhere.