Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Utah! - The Mightly Colorado River



I have always wanted to raft the Colorado River. I've been on several other rivers in the Rocky Mountain area so adding the Colorado seemed like a worthy goal.  Access to the river is limited so we hooked up with an outfitter for a full-day trip.
One of the surprising things about going to Utah was how many European tourists we encountered.  I never see so many foreigners in Washington D.C.! I guess they, wisely, skip the city and head for what's unique about the U.S. of A. - the West.  Our raft trip included a cadre of tourists from Poland.  They weren't so great at English.  But at the City Market, a pretty-great grocery store on the main drag in Moab we ran into all kinds of German and French visitors.  How hard is to pick up a turkey sandwich from the delly or use the self-check-out. I thought the grocery was on a part with anything we have in Maryland, perhaps a little light on the prepared entrees and heavier on the grab and go things, but Moab is kind of a grab and go place.  So I was proud to be an American and showcase a fine grocery to Europeans.

Back to the raft trip -


We started on a school bus riding up the Colorado valley to the put in point. It was September and the water was low, at least for the Colorado, so we picked kayaks instead of the big 12 person rafts. It entailed more paddling the possibility of a capsize, but seemed like it would add to the fun of the trip.








We put in and were off. Although the water was low there was plenty. It wasn't ultra cold but it wasn't any warm southern river.

This is a little rapid narrow spot. There weren't a lot of rocks protruding to get caught on, but it did require some paddling to get through.

More than once I got a mouthful of water splashed up on me, but we never did tip over.



Lunch was included in our trip. We pulled over at the Red Cliffs Inn. That was a resort we'd considered staying at but they'd been full so we hadn't. It was just as well as it was quite a ways outside of Moab proper. Nevertheless they had an excellent BBQ lunch! The woman in the picture joined us at the halfway mark, and was from Maryland also!




Dan paddling.  Dan sat in the back of our kayak and was responsible for steering. I was the muscle in the front.

Ginny paddling in front.

A lovely view all the way along.