Sunday, January 30, 2011

Button Basket

There are always things about other people that I admire.  Often there are other people who, in my thinking, achieve perfection.  It doesn't have to be perfection in every aspect of life, no one is that perfect, one aspect will do.








My friend Terri's Aunt, Mary Jo, is someone who has always, in my opinion, had a perfect house.  When I first moved to D.C. she and her husband had a row house on Park Road in Mt. Pleasant.  It was off the main drag, no bums hung around in her front yard. It had been renovated and was decorated in a deliberate way. She had two girls and they were charming and played the piano nicely.  Their bedroom shared a playroom and there was a built in dollhouse.  The bathrooms were new.  I never spent the night there but I am certain that unlike where I lived, no mice jumped out of the stove or toaster when you  got up and started breakfast!

As the years have gone by Mary Jo and her husband sold that house in Mount Pleasant D.C., at the top of the market, and moved to Philadelphia.  They still come to D.C. for business, and acquired an apartment to stay in when they visit.  It's not a new apartment, but it's off of Connecticut Avenue -  on an upper floor. The elevator is old but the brass grill gleams.  It's 1930s D.C. - the front door has a grilled gate so you can get a cross-draft for ventilation in the summer without throwing the whole place open to whoever might walk in, the bathrooms have black and white tile and the floors are hardwood.  It's winter now and the trees out the dining room window have lost their leaves and you can sit and soak up a little sun in the afternoon.


Terri has moved to Baltimore, but her Aunt lends her the apartment for our book club. I've been there a couple of times. It's decorated with a white theme with touches of South Carolina. Lots of Fiesta dishware, botanical prints and wooden furniture, and a small but modern kitchen  and a button basket. I'd never seen one before. I wonder who sewed all those buttons together. We went back for this month's meeting and I took my camera so I could capture it. It's perfect.







Left to right: Kate, Ginny, Terri, Paige, Gail and Wendy