Sunday, December 04, 2011

Legacy Stuff - replacement fakes

On the off-chance that anyone looking this post over was planning to buy me a Christmas gift, this is what I'd like.

I spied these in the New York Times style section a few weeks ago and was taken by them.  Never mind that I don't usually wear dangly earrings nor that my birthstone is sapphire, not opal.  These inspired me to step outside my box.

I won't be offended if nobody springs $142,670 for them. 












They reminded me of earrings at Target by Dana Kellin.  Specifically the pair at left.  I passed on them because they were too dangly. If they get marked down I might buy them and clip off the drops on either side of the middle one.

I'll preface this by saying that I do not shop exclusively at Target, it only seems that way from the things I write blog posts about.  For someone minutes from the center of the free world the shopping choices within 10 minutes of my home are a bit limited but I do have a Target, so I go there a lot.  To illustrate my point, it's 45 minutes with traffic to the nearest Walmart.


The Dana Kellin earrings I bought are at left.   The line had been featured around the web and Target positions the earring section near the front of the store so as I was waiting for the line to drop off I browsed.  Browsing is what you do when you don't need help from the salesperson.  For me it's almost synonymous with purchase.

Whoever named Internet accessing software "browsers" had retail on their mind! I like these because they have a blue stone.  I'm a sucker for blue stones.


When I got them home I realized that they're remarkably similar to earrings I inherited from my mother-in-law.  The thing about her earrings is that I hesitate to wear them because they are so precious to me.  Thus the replacement fakes.

I had intended to give mother-in-law's earrings, which have a matching necklace and ring that doesn't fit me,  to my older son's girlfriend should they have become engaged.  The broke up last year so that didn't happen. 

Mother and Father-in-law spend some time in the Foreign Service in South America.  Father-in-law was a Labor Officer.  As far as I can tell Mother-in-law, who was the one who spoke Spanish fluently and had the Master's Degree in International Relations, spent her tour entertaining, raising my husband AND buying jewelry. 

I admired these when she wore them.




What I coveted from her estate was the bathroom scale.  It kept a true weight, there isn't ever a need to reset the zero point. She was skinny, father-in-law was the one that purchased the scale.  I doubt she ever even stepped on it.  I'd seen her in the earrings but never focused on what might I do with them when she was gone.  She suffered a stroke and a long decline and most of our focus was on her and her declining health.  Her things were sometimes an issue but usually it was in terms of she's moving to a smaller space this weekend, we've got to do something with the things that won't fit.  The bathroom scale was an early overboard, and once I had that everything else was peripheral.

When I look at the two earrings together I know there is no comparison between them.  Her earrings are real gold, the setting holds the stone up so the light enhances the stone and the stones have a great deal more dimensionality.

The Target earrings are a sorry second.  But, if one gets broken or lost I won't have lost an heirloom.

Things are nice, but the stories that go with them are what make them precious.