He's going there early and I'll go later in the week after the meetings are done. The conference is at the Ritz-Carlton but we're going to stay in a town near Cancun called Playa del Carmen. Husband's cousin his wife visited a few years back gave rave reviews to the Hotel Aventura. When faced with a multitude of hotel choices we took the easy way out and booked there. It's reasonably priced compared to many of the high-rises in Cancun so if it's got flaws it'll be easier to forgive them.
So here I am in January thinking about something most of us try to think about as little as possible - bathing suits.
For the past few years I've mostly been a skirted Tankini person. I need to buy the top and bottom separately for the best fit. The skirt doesn't really cover my flabby thighs but it gives me confidence.
Once you're out on the beach everybody else is fat and jiggly, they can't really judge your fat, but you've got to get out of your room and down to the water first. That's where the pretend skirt comes in.
When Cousin Mary was raving about Playa del Carmen she mentioned that she wore her out of the country bikini because you hang around in your suit all day, with your cover-up and anything else is too hot.
So when we decided to go I was presented with the "bikini" problem. It would be one thing if I'd been a bikini girl all along. My tummy fat would be tan, and that would mean it didn't show. To suddenly put on a bikini now will mean that I'll be exposing a totally white tummy, which will show every little roll of fat!
After some consideration I decided I needed a skimpier swim suit to wear under my cover-up.
The skirted-tankini is hot. It's great for wearing on the beach when you're close to your rental and can wander around without a cover-up. So I went looking for a one-piece.
It's always easier to know what you don't like.
I don't like miracle suits. They operate like girdles and that means they're tight, which makes them hot. Not what I want under my cover-up. It's no fun to be reminded of your fat all the time with a suit that's forever tight. Vacations are about having fun not about spandex.
I had surgery for a minor (if there is such a thing) breast cancer a few years back and swim suit needs to have coverage on one side I have a dent and a roll of extra skin around one armpit. I could not believe my good fortune in happening upon a suit (not this exact one) with an asymmetrical design and a decent bra. It's higher on the side where I need more coverage and has the higher-cut legs. A little pre-vacation self-tanner and my jiggly thighs will be tanned jiggly thighs.
It isn't a suit I intend to use a lot. We hope to go snorking and for that or any other activities where I intend to be out in public dripping wet I intend to wear the Tankini. The one-piece is for lounging, shopping and hanging out while dry. Now all I needed was a cover-up.
Lisa at Privilege ran a post about bathing suit cover-ups with good tips. A little clicking found me an acceptable cover-up at a smaller price. I can also wear it like a robe in the hotel and as a tunic over white pants or shorts.
Now it's onto a pedicure and packing for the rest of the trip. I've got a new book, Thinking Fast and Slow that should be good. Got an tips for Cancun or snorkling?


