Sunday, April 29, 2012

Presents for a JD

This weekend involved shopping for two special items.

The first was the framing of an article, authored by my older son, in the Maryland Law Review.  His was the only student contribution to the review in 2011, and appeared under the Note section. This article, Arizona vs Gantz, dealt with search and seizure. Someone in Arizona was arrested for driving without a license after he exited his car and was walking towards his house, and his car was searched.  The evidence from the search, which turned up drugs of some kind, was eventually deemed inadmissible. 


My son wanted the article page, which contains a dedication to his Grandfather, my father, and the title page, as shown, framed to hang in his office.  I took a copy of the journal to the framing store and they suggested what I've shown.  The title page has the Maryland seal in the familiar colors of the Maryland flag.

I think the black mat with the red and gold borders will be distinctive and noticeable.  It would be a good thing for everyone who comes into the young lawyer's office to see that his article was published in the Law Review!






We'll be having family visit for the graduation so I went ahead and got him a gift.  Next weekend I'll be busy getting the guest rooms ready and setting the menu.

I'd been shopping for a new purse for myself, but it was frustrating.  I liked many of them, but I can't quite go for paying more than $100 for something with a big logo.  So I was looking and looking.  I've often liked Fossil bags, which usually don't have such a big logo.  While I didn't find a bag for myself I found myself admiring the men's bags.  Next thing I knew I was walking out of the store with this one.  I love the soft shiny leather that looks well used.  I'm not sure what's up with the dents on the pockets, they aren't there in real life, but I think he'll like it too.

Now all I have to do is find matching towels for my guests!

It's a big milestone for us.  Neither my husband or myself went to graduate school.  Son came up with the idea of being a lawyer all on his own.  We're as proud as can be.