Since my own mother is still with us I'm short on brooches from her, which is fine with me, she still needs them. My Mother-in-Law passed on 5 years ago and she's left me with plenty to work with. One of the highlights of my husband's childhood was the time when he and his parents were posted to South American while they were in the Foreign Service. I heard many stories about their time there, but it wasn't until my MIL passed away and we gathered up her things that I realized she'd gone on quite the jewelry buying spree while living there.
These are my South American brooches:
The larger ones are folk figures. The one that interested me the most is below the donkey-rider.
While posted in Columbia they lived right at the jewel. I've seen this before in her things, but not in pins.
This globe is on a bracelet chain. It's got a ruby in the spots she'd lived: New York, Columbia, Argentina. It's a big charm for a bracelet. We were visiting my husband's Aunt one time and she had a similar globe on a necklace, which I think would be easier to wear. Still, I like it because it's personal.
Back in the states this pin arrived. It's big, it's flashy, it looks like something we' might see today.
Butterflies are free, except this one is pinned to someones jacket or scarf.
These pins were also in the jewelry box. I think they came my the mother of MIL, who also spent some time in South America. I believe they're older because they're smaller. The stones are set in gold, most likely of all the pins these are the most valuable.
The happy family in Machu Picchu, Peru. Usually when you see photos of this ruin everything is very green. Having seen this photo I assume the calendar photos were either taken in the Spring, or that the colors have been enhanced. Husband has a wooly looking plaid jacket on, he's about 12, so this may be what it looks like in the Winter.
Don't miss the rest of the brooches!
Don't miss the rest of the brooches!






