Friday marked the end of a long relationship for a great number of my co-workers. My old friend Scott is moving on.
Happily it's to a better project and not to be laid off. We've had more than our share of that in recent years. It's not a given there won't be more of it later in the year. That's a worry for another day.
As usual we headed to the Viva de France for a luncheon. Since it was Friday I had french fries. There wasn't a speech or a big sendoff, he's not retiring, but we all know we'll miss someone who has become a friend.
Scott, the biggest Apple fan you'll ever meet, received a copy of the Steve Jobs biography and a gift card as a sendoff. Happy reading Scott. Who'll show me all the tricks to my iPhone with him. For a long time he was the go-to guy if you needed a phone charge to get yourself home. I got a different model with a new cord, and had to buy my own spare cord :(
I first met Scott in 1997 when he came to work on our floor. He was a "Clipper" programmer at the time. As the contract morphed one way and another he branched into Oracle/PowerBuilder/VB .Net projects. Now he's headed off to do ColdFusion.
I went from ABABAS/NATURAL to Oracle/MS Access and then SAS.
In 2001 we had a realignment and he took over the Natural Gas Monthly. A sad day for me since that was my project. But, with a little time I moved on and we managed to remain friends.
A few years ago there he was again, taking over the project I started after the 2001 debacle. It's never really been up to the high standards of what I put together, but the software is different and some things were difficult to replicate. Again - it's better to move on. When you're a back-end database person there is always a succession of front-ends and people coming in and out to update them.
It's funny about people you work with. You don't choose them as your friends, if you're going to be friends it kind of happens. They pick up quirks about people as you get to know them. Scott is very tidy. Last year we had someone a few cubes over who went heavy on the aftershave. Scott claimed if he went out the door after the fellow his hands would smell like it. I'd hear his fan switch on and know that somebody had been a bit heavy-handed with the scent.
He took off early on Friday, toting his stuff. But - good friend, he left me his chocolate covered almonds!
