It's been an up and down Spring here: warm, then cold, then warm again. I'm just now putting my sweaters away and feeling like long sleeved shirts are too much.
Last week we had a warm spell, I nearly turned the A/C on, but then over the weekend it cooled back down. I have a hard time packing for my weekend visit to see Son.
New York is North of Maryland. I've got Forest Hills in my weather locations and it's predictably 5-10 degrees cooler. I managed to take a light coat with me to visit son, but just couldn't put the hoodie I like to wear under my pea jacket into the suitcase. I regretted it Friday night when the dinnertime temperatures were in the 40s, but come Saturday things had warmed up and I was more comfortable.

We went into the city for some shopping, dinner and a show. Keeping with the casual theme I wore my microfiber pea coat. It went to Italy with me more than 10 years ago, but it's such a perfect travel item I've kept it around despite a few pulls and pills.
Scott's favorite place to shop in New York is the Union Square/Flatiron District. It bears a resemblance to your upscale American mall, but it's all set in open air city streets.
The next thing I knew we were in Uniglo. Uniglo is sometimes called the Japanese Gap. They aren't as frilly/trashy as Forever 21 or as European as H&M, nor as rustic as the American Gap. They're Japanese, a mix of clean lines and Little Kitty - if you can imagine that. I have a soft spot in my heart for them because Scott worked there while he was waiting for his RN test results and to get hired at his current employer. For parents supporting a son while he hangs out waiting to get hired that job was a ray of hope. They acquired lifelong goodwill from me, even though Scott didn't like working there at all. Too bad for him! Since I was cold I bought a coat.
It kept raining all the next week so I got a chance to wear it.
I'll admit it does remind me of those smocks you wear at the hair salon. It's cotton-nylon, and on the boxy side. You don't see the collarless style here because I've got a scarf going, but it collarless.
A week later I as I was putting winter things away and digging all the papers and magazines off my desktop I came across a newspaper clipping I'd saved from 2010. It was in the Sunday styles of the paper. Gosh, that coat looks familiar doesn't it?
The very first thing I thought was that my coat needed to be shortened. It's not lined so it's not a big problem.
My envelope of clippings and torn out magazine pages, which allow me to recycle magazines without regret is kind of a later-day Pinterest. I've joined Pinterest recently, and found myself setting up several "secret" boards, thinking they'll be like my file of magazine clippings. In this case my clipping explains to me why I was attracted to that coat, even if a bit of alteration was needed.
I don't think Bill Cunningham, or his DC equivalent, is going to snap any photos of me crossing a street looking chic, but I thought the alteration (I also shortened the sleeves) gave it a better look.
