Monday, December 09, 2013

No Peeking

Sunday book review pages have been piling up on my reading table for several months. This past weekend, with Christmas presents in mind, I went through them and circled books that I thought looked like good presents.

Here's my list:


  • The Bully Pulpit 
  • Sorry!
  • Wyoming Bold
  • Critical Mass
  • Doctor Sleep 
  • Why Read Moby Dick?
  • Longbourn

Later I read an article about the President's Thanksgiving weekend shopping trip to Politics & Prose - a bookstore  in North West DC.

Stealing from his shopping list I added:


  • The Budda in the Attic, and
  • The Lowland. 




My book club has read several Doris Goodwin books this year -Lincoln, Ordinary Times- so I'm familiar with the author.  Kearn's account of Teddy Roosevelt & William Howard Taft looks like a good choice for those with lots of time to read -- it's long. It's on the list for sister who has several long trips ahead of her next year.

Sorry! - an explanation of English Manners seems like a good title for lawyer-son. Lawyers are often called upon the mediate in touchy situations, knowing your manners seems like a good idea.

Wyoming Bold was billed as a mystery.  The cover illustration looks more romance than mystery, but I've got a few on my list in the intersection of romance and mystery so I think it might work.

Critical Mass - I was going to buy this book anyway. Sara Paretsky is a favorite author in our family. I bought a signed copy at Browseabout Books in Rehoboth DE.  I'm facebook friends with the author and she tells me she wasn't actually in Delaware, but hit New York and DC for signings.

I've already heard a chunk of Doctor Sleep, in the car on the way to Delaware. Husband loves Stephen King. Audio books put me to sleep in the car so I missed a few chapters. Younger son likes Stephen King so this continuation of The Shining is for him.

Why Read Moby Dick caught my attention.  I once took a class in college because they read Huckleberry Finn.  It turned out that Moby Dick was also on the reading list, something I should have considered more thoughtfully.  I wish I could say that I read Moby Dick with as much interest as Huckleberry Finn, I didn't, but the details about the New England whaling culture interest me.  This may be a present for me!

Longburn is billed as the downstairs of Dowtown Abbey.  Who doesn't like Dowtown Abbey? It's for sister or my mother - not sure which.

I was going to get my mother a book by a Japanese author, she has some Roger Shimomura prints that depict Japanese internment camps in the 1940s.  When I saw that the President had The Budda in the Attic on his list I decided it fit the bill.

I don't know how the President got the jump on me with The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri.  I love everything she's written.  I expect to love this title too.

I'm not doing too badly, it's not all a list just for me!