Election day is Tuesday.
My postman and I are both happy to see it come. Every day for the past month we've been getting postcards from candidates.
If someone wins the Democratic primary in Maryland they've more or less won the general election. So getting out the vote in the primary matters.
One of the things that I learned about my family was that when they lived in Alabama, where I was born, my father broke with family tradition and registered Democratic. This was not a minor thing, in Kansas where they'd always lived he and his family were Republicans. This was back in the day when Republicans weren't the rabid party of No, they were the party of business, of Ike, of Bob Dole.
When they found themselves in Alabama, a Democratic stronghold they registered Democratic because like Maryland of current day, the primary was where it all happened. So, I too find myself a Democrat, and now I find myself with a mail slot full of fliers.
I have a bad track record on voting for winners. I don't expect anybody I vote for on Tuesday to win. I just hope that they place so the winners will know that there are people like me out there who like living in Maryland and hope to be able to afford to continue living here.
