Sunday, December 13, 2015

Merry Christmas - 2015


No surprises here! We have lots of Hawaii photos in our Christmas picture.
This was the runner-up but in the end we switched to the one with the black background.

I upgraded my Corel Photo to version 7 this past year.  It didn't come with the photo project app that the original Corel did, and I had a moment when I thought the original app, which is still installed on my PC might not work and that I'd have to build a collage with the program itself, something that would involve layers and raster images.


I'm as good with photos as the next person but I wasn't looking forward to it since we wanted to get our collage sent out before Christmas.  Fortunately the old app continued to work.  I have a program on my photo that does photo collages, but it won't let you put so many photos together and the photos need to be on your phone.  In the name of keeping room on my phone I copy photos off everytime I sync.

We went to see the movie Heart of the Sea, Last weekend I drug husband off to see the movie "Brooklyn" with my book club, so this weekend we went to see a movie he wanted to see.  We went to the IMAX version.

Here I am with the magic glasses at the IMAX theater.

The story takes place on a whaling ship, which takes me back to a trip we took to Mystic CT.  We toured a whaling ship.  I think the movie took liberties in making the whaling ship look better than it looked when we toured it.  It has to have been a hellish way to earn a living being gone for years at time, living in tiny quarters.

The 3-D effects of the IMAX really made you feel like you were there when the men were at the top of the rigging.  I was reminded of Captain Cook's tall trees, planted wherever he stopped so he might have replacement masts if he came back around again.

The action in the movie, men on a whaler pursued and nearly killed by a great white whale, took place in the Southern Pacific.  They never made it to Hawaii, ending up closer to Chile, but I was reminded of the accountant of the missionaries as they traveled through the area on their way to Hawaii.

The movie didn't get a lot of critical acclaim, "Brooklyn" was a much more impressive movie, but the story of the whaling ship was interesting and we used a movie coupon someone had given us as a gift to see it, I thought it was entertaining enough.

The next movie I want to see is "The Big Short" which is supposed to be a comic account of Michael Lewis's book of the same name about the crash of 2007-2008.