Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dewey Days - 2010 - a dark and stormy day

Dark and Stormy Dan



Well, no sooner did I remark that Monday was a perfect day were clouds gathering on the horizon! By dinner time the wind was blowing and the white surf could be seen from our balcony. We had just a bit of rain, but plenty of wind.  Tuesday morning was the same  - no wet stuff but plenty of wind. A good time for a walk on the beach so that's what Dan and I did.

One of the books I brought to read was The Thirteenth Tale. It is a book club selection so it's a must-read, but I'll admit that I wasn't all that excited by it. However book-club duty called and I cracked it open.  Hardly 24 hours later I was finished, looking at the book club questions in the back and paging through it noting references to Jane Eyre and looking up terms on Wikipedia. 

It's gothic tale, combining horror and romance. At one point our main character, a bookish biographer of a mysterious author takes ill. The doctor is called and prescribes several volumes of Sherlock Holmes - away with romantic imagination and  on with with facts. Since I'm a confirmed crime-novel buff I liked that. I think it will be a good book-club gathering, and if the stormy weather continues on my vacation I may pick up a copy of Jane Eyre