Sunday, April 03, 2011

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme - III

With the date to last frost within 10 weeks I set about starting my herb garden seedlings.

As you may remember I want to grow Rosemary for cooking and bought a little kit at Home Depot to get me started.

Here's what I got - "eco" pots, seeds, peat pots and little starter dirt disks that expand when you put water in them.

My house faces North West and my kitchen is at the back of the house so it's facing South East.  It gets sun in the mornings but loses direct sunshine as the day goes on.  Once the trees outside leaf out it'll be even less sunny but that's not a problem at the moment. My living room is to the front of the house and I've picked a table there that will catch mid-day sun from the South and then again from the West.  A week into this project I think that the kitchen is the sunnier spot because those seedlings are growing more, although it could just be the type of seed.

This is the situation in the living room.  I'm getting some tiny shows of green from the Basil but not a lot of action from the Thyme or Rosemary.










In the kitchen I have some kind of fancy lettuce mix.  The peat pots are nearly splitting from the expand-in-water grow disks so I put them into tupperware.   One to-do for today is to buy a sprayer so I can keep them moist without crushing the tiny seedlings with water.

They're sprouting nicely, although it's clear I didn't do a very good job of spreading the seeds around because all the sprouts are too close together. 

Every time I walk into the kitchen I think the pots are chocolate cake, and that sets me to contemplating a snack. Growing herbs is supposed to be part of a healthy weight diet -- not part of a "I need some chocolate cake" diet!