Friday, May 20, 2011

Hearts Aflutter

I took this picture on my bike ride Sunday morning because I'll be missing Bike to Work Day this year.  May 20 is THE day of Scott's graduation and I'll be in New York.

I christened the bike riding season this past weekend with two outings.  The first was good.  I didn't take the long route, just a 10 mile trip to Bethesda and back.  There is a Barnes&Noble there that makes for a nice resting place.  I made the trip fairly quickly and did not stop, as I often do, at Starbuck's or Einstien Bagel.  A stop at either of those places can derail the entire point of the outing which is to get some exercise to combat middle-age spread.  

The second day's ride wasn't so good. It takes a few rides for one's sitting bones to get used to the seat, and the second day mine were not happy!

I don't bike all the way down to DOE when I bike. Usually I bike to the Metro rail station which isn't far.  The ride to DOE is long but not too bad.  The ride home is long and totally uphill, not something to look forward to on a Friday afternoon.


I biked around Bethesda and found the building where my older son, Jack, is going to start his summer job this week. 

He's moved back from Baltimore, renting a room in Bethesda not far from the office.  He hopes to work there part-time this fall and will commute to his third year of law school.  That's going against traffic (DC to Baltimore) in the morning and should not be bad.  We did the same drive many times when Dan had his transplant.

I'm infinitely glad this job turned up.  Last summer he was an unpaid intern with the state insurance commission.  It was an interesting experience, but he wished it'd been paid.  Doug Gansler, the Attorney General, spoke to the interns (all of them unpaid) and remarked at their civic-mindedness,  noting that he'd interned on Wall Street during law school.  I have political differences with AG Gansler so his tone-deafness to the students didn't surprise me. 

Thankfully this year he's got a paying slot.  As the supporting parents of this law student we're happy too!

Bethesda is a nice area and the offices are in a part where efforts to bring in a street-life have been more successful. 

Cycling through the neighborhood I just hope he saves some of his salary for the upcoming school year because I think it'd be possible to spend it all at the many restaurants and bars that are nearby.










There's also a Farmer's Market, which should send my son's Gen Y heart aflutter.  Well, maybe not, but the BBQ looks good.









In preparation for my son's graduation I got a new camera.  It's not an expensive camera, a Sony Cyber-Shot. It was a total impulse purchase. I started playing with it at Best Buy and liked the preset modes.  So far so good...