Saturday I was feeling bold, and peered over the side. Next to the stream is the other bike path. Riders go under the bridge.
I've been bummed out about losing my job and the realization that the certification exam needs more of my time I'm even less happy. Not unhappy enough to go off the bridge, but unhappy enough to look at the ravine below and feel sorry for myself, like I'm falling off the bridge into an abyss.
Age has it's benefits and one that you can't put in the bank is that I've had the experience of living through several events that had formerly been on my worst thing that could happen list. Losing the job I liked was definitely in that category.
One pleasant thing about unemployment is that you don't have to rush off in the morning so I've been reading the book Love Wins. It's by a Pastor named Rob Bell. He's got kind of a stream of consciousness style infused with bible stories. I'm an ex-Sunday school teacher so bible stories always attract me. The chapters are long and his words meander so one chapter a day is my limit.
The second chapter talks about who gets to heaven, and does G-d really create all of us so that most will suffer in eternity while a chosen few exist in heavenly bliss. The book included a picture he said hung in his Grandmother's house that depicts the journey to heaven. It's a bridge over a smoldering abyss.
Since I've convinced myself I've fallen off into an abyss I decided to head on down there - a little hair of the dog that bite you....
The other bikers and walkers didn't have devil horns, nobody was carrying a pitchfork. I hadn't gone this way in quite awhile and the County has re-paved the paths, it's really a much nicer ride than I'd remembered. The hill was the main thing I'd ever considered about this route.
| I can only wish this were my bike! |
I did it all on the middle gear ring. I've had a cold and a cough all week and my conditioning is flagging so I didn't push that hard.
I have this feeling I'll be back there again soon. Maybe I can do it on the big ring if I keep at it.
The title of the chapter in Love Wins was called Here is the New There. It's not all that original. Back in my Ram Dass reading days he had a phrase wherever you go there you are.
Seems like my new there there is going to include some bumps and a steep hill but no smoldering flames.