Thursday, March 15, 2012

A bit of the Irish


I read an interesting review of a book about regional America before Christmas, but promptly forgot the title.  Today I ran across an article that made the point that American aren't divided solely into racial or sexual groups.  Too often so-called pundits want to paint us in broad strokes and lacking much personal experience with the American that exists in between the coasts misses different regional personalities of the nation.  That book, American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America looks very interesting and if I didn't already have two long non-fiction books plus 3 kindle singles on my e-reader I'd buy it.  Maybe once I get caught up.

As a mongrel American whose relatives all arrived here before the advent of Ellis Island I probably am not of Irish ancestry.  I'm an American.  In the spirit of acknowledging and respecting our regional differences  I want to share my favorite St. Patrick's Day dessert.  If you're feeling energetic you can pick the green charms out of the cereal, then ice the squares with chocolate frosting and sprinkle the green charms over top of the icing.