The floor was a concrete slab. Part of the project was to insulate the floor. We did this by raising the floor, which was a step down from the dining room, to be even with the dining room. This generated changes to all the doors.
I went with doors with windows. They're double paned and if someone wants to break them and get into our house they'll have their work cut out for them.
In the end, since we had a carpenter we also had the door to the laundry room in the basement replaced. You could see daylight at the bottom of that door and that meant you also felt a breeze, particularly in the winter. I had Home Depot replace the door to the garage some years ago and it took forever. Even though we bought the door already hung, installing one requires skill. With someone with the skills available it was prudent to throw the laundry room door in.
We left the doors to the dining room. They aren't insulated but they don't need to be. You can see how there was a step down from the dining room to the office.
One of the first things we did after getting our favorite home guy, "Tarzan" lined up to do this project was to go to Home Depot to pick out doors. I liked the doors with the blinds built in between the panes of glass but there were a special order which was going to add time and more than $100 per door.
We had a little marital negotiation at the paint counter at Home Depot, and ended up with these colors. Husband loved a bright green/yellow paint. I got him to move down the color range on the chip to a lighter shade of the color.
Then I employed an age-old trick that always works with men - let'em look at a screen. We typed the color he agreed to into the computer at Home Depot and turned up their suggestions for accents and complimentary colors. This set came up and with no further problems he agreed.
Normally I would have purchased samples and tried it all out but Tarzan moved along on the project so quickly husband had given orders to buy the paint before I got a chance.
The green is yellower than I had thought it would be. I guess I should have known that since the whole project was spawned from a bright yellow/green sample.
The bright blue line in the picture is the paint tape and will be going away. I loved the green carpet in the store but think the scheme will look better with blue. However, this blue is not my final choice.
I'm going back to the carpet store this week, while husband is out of town (!) to get a blue that's closer to our sample AND that's less than $10 a sq. ft. installed. The price will push us into something low-nap, almost office-ish. That's OK with me. The room is 17 X 21 so it's not a small amount of carpet.
Originally husband was going to keep the rag-tag furniture we had. Now that the room is so fresh and nice he sees that the old desk needs replacement and the bookshelves are a disaster.
We're going to look for cherry colored furniture to provide the burgundy accents our color plan suggests. We're also going to look for a storage cupboard with doors. The boxes of cables, FedEx envelopes, plugs, toner cartridges and other office stuff defy shelves and just plain need to be hidden behind doors.
I'm excited about it. More after I return from a second trip to the carpet store.



