Tuesday, June 05, 2012

The Descendants

I'm going to start off and say that for an $8 Netflix subscription fee, paid out of my loving husband's account,  I enjoyed The Descendants and would recommend it to those who're over 40 or like George Clooney. 



Beyond George Clooney, the movie features Robert Forster as the father of the woman who is the impetus for the entire story.  Forster, not a romantic comedy actor, played the Bail Bondsman in the movie Jackie Brown.  I'm a mystery lover and I can't resist a story with a Bail Bondsman.

Forster's character, the father-in-law,  is obnoxious and disagreeable.  He has several scenes where he accuses Clooney's character of being cheap towards his daughter for making the family live on his lawyer income instead of spending the family assets on a boat for his daughter to enjoy. 

This little rant reminded me of an article about Mark Zuckerbergs new bride, Pricilla Chan.  Reportedly Chan and a friend were shopping and spied some wonderful shoes.  Her friend urges her to buy the $600 (!) shoes saying she, meaning Zuckerberg had all that money.  Chan replied, it's not my money.

I predict that their relationship has a good chance of lasting.  Robert Frost spoke an eternal truth when he penned the phrase, good fences make good neighbors.  If you don't treat the person you're married to, and his/her things, whether material or not, with the same respect you'd afford a neighbor you're in trouble.