The YMCA has a program in connection with America On the Move. You sign-in, and log your steps. Part of the program is that you sign up for various "trails."I did this last spring and "walked" the Lewis and Clark trail. To add a literary note to it I also read "Undaunted Courage" while doing the program. So my virtual journey had some history to go with it. The "Y" started up again this month, and I'm on the Pacific Crest Trail. As you can see I'm on my way to "Death Valley." I haven't found a book to read with it, and would welcome suggestions. As you can see it doesn't hit the coast, it's the interior of California.
Every activity translates into a number of steps. So Yoga, aerobics, bike riding can all be converted to "steps" and entered. So far I'm doing pretty good. The goal is to take about 10,000 steps per day.
Being the "very organized" person that I am I have it all worked out.
- Yoga - 71 steps @ minute
- Step Aerobics - 236 steps @ minute
- Elliptical Trainer - 236 steps @ minute
- Spin class (stationary biking) - 189 steps @ minute
- Walking (moderate pace) - 94 steps @ minute.
They have a web site www.americaonthemove.org
It's got a lot of hints and the conversions of daily activities to steps. It's got hints for weight loss. I haven't really lost any weight, but if I wanted to that would be a good place to check on how to save 100 calories here and there.