Sunday, March 07, 2010

A New Bag

This past January the District of Columbia began assessing a 5 cent tax on bags from food places, including grocery stores. It's to reduce waste in the river, encourage people to re-use bags and probably to raise a little revenue. I shop in Maryland so it's not a big deal to me, particularly because last year I decided that my Lenten commitment would be to try and reduce waste by shopping with re-usable bags.As you can see I have quite a few bags, and they've begun to sink into my material set of things. I thought I'd detail them here.
Various organizations like to give out bags and since free bags are FREE bags I hang onto them. The Natural Conservancy, an organization that Dan supports has sent us at least two bags.  Usually I put produce in their bags. Nature-produce, don't those go together? 

I
This bag doesn't look quite so good, but isn't corn a vegetable too?














Since I'm a concerned woman I also have a bag for the cure. 

St. Mark issued us all bags as a part of their campaign to be better stewards of the earth. Their bag is quite sturdy. Thus I save it for the building blocks of good bones -
 


This bag is unusual because I bought it! I saw it at the Nelson Gallery in Kansas City. It said FROZEN FOODS to me, so I always put pizza and other frozen items in it. 

You can see Nelson-Atkins on the side. What's the story of your bag collection?