Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving Parade

I overslept this morning and missed "Body Jam" at the YMCA. So I put my shoes on and headed to Silver Spring for my morning exercise.  They have a Farmer's Market on Saturdays so I took a shopping bag. What I didn't know was that it was parade day.
I love a marching band! Both my boys played instruments in the band. I'm not a football fan and I attended every home game of my older son's high school just to watch him play at half-time.  This is the Blair High School band.  The Washington Redskins band was there too.
No parade is complete without politicians current or potential.  Knowing someone with an antique car must be a requirement for a politician.  This is our County Councilwoman - Valarie Ervin - waving from her T-bird that some faithful friend is driving. Chris Van Hollen, who represents the Congressional district next to ours also attended. Both politicians had parade participants following them throwing candy into the crowd. I guess that's how you get rid of your extra Halloween candy if you're a politician. 


Once an elected official, the "wave" never leaves you.
    In Maryland all the antique cars are thunder birds. I was reminded, as I so often am, of my Dad. He had an antique truck. In Kansas politicians ride in antique trucks. He didn't have his truck until after he was off the City Commission, but he drove his share of politicos in parades.






The ducks missed the band.

I was on foot, which was lucky, traffic was jammed up all around because of the street closings. I arrived home via the park, which was lovely.