The canyon has a little story that I thought was interesting.
We all know that Eisenhower undertook a cross-county trip in the 1930s when he was in the Army. Later when we was President he made an interstate highway system a national priority because he remembered his own cross-country trip.
The section of I-70 at Spotted Wolf Canyon was one of the last to be completed in the interstate highway system. The following is a precise description of the highway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_70_in_Utah
The scene at left is what we saw from the scenic overlook. The road snakes through a break in the San Rafael Swell. The story goes that when they started building this part of the interstate the width of the canyon was about as wide as a man's arm span. I guess wide enough for a spotted wolf to make it through.Now it's about 4 lanes wide.
The "swell" from the outside looking into the canyon. These are solid rock.A Spanish trail runs through this area. The trail goes 20 miles around this line of rock because it was so difficult to cross.
This is a link to some photos of the area that do it justice: http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/North_America/United_States/West/Utah/Green_River/photo217043.htm